Thursday, July 30, 2009

Rama's Tuna Time

One day I went fishing for tuna .
That day I caught a terrific slimy tuna. I put it in my kete.
I gathered wood and twigs and made a special place to smoke my tuna. I lit my fire, but it kept going out.
I got hoha and looked in my kete, but the Tuna was no longer there.
I wondered what was happening and what I had done wrong. I thought long and hard.
I realised I had not recited the karakia to Tangaroa and to Mahuika, Goddess of Fire. I then recited karakia to Tangaroa and Mahuika. I looked into my kete and WOW! My terrifically slimy tuna was there.
That night I smoked my tuna with no problems and had a good kai.
By Rama, Year 5, Manurewa South

1 comment:

  1. Rama thanks for sharing this. Following and respecting protocols is very important in all we do.
    Your story reminded me of when I was your age. I would go eeling a lot with my father and we smoke eels and give them to our whanau,

    Your story bought a smile to my face.

    Na
    Matua Dudley

    ReplyDelete